Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Labels

I have been given multiple labels throughout grade school and high school. Primarily, I was known as the “nice guy” for many years. I tried to be friends with everyone and not cause any kind of conflict or drama that others did. This label isn’t a problem for me and I don’t try to defy it because I think that being a good person is rewarding in many ways and makes people look at you with respect. I want to continue being the “nice guy” because it makes life more peaceful and more fulfilling. I also have been labeled the “over-achiever” by friends and teachers, because for some assignments and projects I put a lot of work into it to make it the way I wanted it to be. I think that this label isn’t really accurate. I am more of a perfectionist and it sometimes can be frustrating to feel like I have to work so much when it probably isn’t required. The label has made me feel like I needed to work harder on everything in the future to stay at certain standard of my previous work otherwise. I also have also occasionally been labeled as “boring” in grade school and early high school. This would hurt me a bit because I know that isn’t true yet I was shy and that sometimes restricted me from loosening up around new people that I hadn’t been close with. This led me to at certain times try to stand out and be crazy just to show new people that I am fun to be around. But, when I tried doing this, it wasn’t natural and didn’t work. All of these labels have definitely formed my identity and probably are large chunks of it. Furthermore, I think they have currently helped me recognize who I am and become aware when I stray away of just being me and doing what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment