Thursday, April 21, 2011

"Class in America"

I don't necessarily believe that Mantsios is making a case that the wealthy are exploiting the poor. It does not seem that it is the wealthy people's fault. From the quotes from the rich women in the text, it does not seem as if they really understand any correspondence between their status and that of the rest of the lower income world. I think Mantsios is trying to make awareness about the skewed sense of reality that our country has. We can turn on our TVs and see the glamorous lives of rich celebrities and reality stars and think that that is the essence of America, but it is not. In the media, we are more influenced by that top 1 percent, than the other 99 percent of people to the point where you forget about the poverty amoungst and near ourselves.
I think Mantsios would like to see change in government and how the economy is ran. It would be beneficial to find ways to close that huge wealth ratio of 12 to 1, by initiating opportunities for lower class people to make a change in their lives and build more substantial careers.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Pat.
    Good thoughts. Indeed, Mantsios is definatley trying to reflect upon society's complete disregard of the maleffects that class has on our citizens. You're also probably right, regarding Mantsios' desired mode of change. Governement and a more montiored economy, with perhaps socialistic attributes favor his ideal society more than capitalism.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts durring class discussion tommarow!
    Also, I don't see your label-paper-reflection blog. Where is it? The grade will read 10/20 for these two blogs, since I don't see the label one. Let me know if there was some sort of technical error on Blogger's part.

    ReplyDelete