William Zinsser’s thoughts about memoir helped me understand the purpose and meaning of one much more. I agree that a bad memoir whines because it doesn’t provide the reader with anything to take away from it. When writers dwell on the people and things that they feel hatred for or events that upset them, it is more of a soap opera than a memoir. But, when writers can take those harsh experiences and turn them into something deeper, both they and the reader benefit. The writer is able to use the memoir to achieve a revelation of their life. It can also be a healing process as it allows them to confront and overcome their issues. The reader is able to relate and have a better understanding of what makes this writer’s life meaningful to them. They can connect the truthfulness in the memoir and identify their own revelations.
My intent in writing this memoir is to hopefully tap into parts of my life that I may not spend enough time evaluating and recognizing the significance in. I’d like to make some discoveries into what has formed who I am. By writing honestly and wholeheartedly, I should be able to open up more and have a more freeing outlook on some experiences that I may have suppressed or ignored the importance of. I hope to come to some conclusions about life that could make me see things differently or give me new attitudes towards the future.
Hey, Pat.
ReplyDeleteGood evidence to backup your argument.
I would definatley encourage the brother memoir. Try and piece memories together...notice the connections between them--the thread that will run through all of them.